Early Childhood Mentoring Project
The Gateway Mentoring project works alongside Early Childhood Services to increase the capacity of Educators and the Services as a whole to respond helpfully and purposefully to children and families experiencing vulnerability.
At any one time the project works with 5 Services based in Penrith and the Blue Mountains. The length of time and intensity of the mentoring is tailored to meet the needs of each Service and Expressions of Interest are welcome from Services who may wish to know more about this project and how it could assist them.
GFS Practice Principles-Mentoring
Gateway model of mentoring is centred on collaborative and strengths based approaches to developing Professional’s knowledge and practice so that children’s growth and development is well supported and they (and their families) are able to thrive.
The Purpose of (ITAV) Mentoring
Mentoring is a focused conversation that is negotiated between the Mentor and the Mentee (the person receiving mentoring). These conversations have a purpose, which is;
To build the capacity of Children’s Services Professionals to recognise and respond to vulnerability in children and their families in a timely, respectful and skilled manner.
GFS Mentoring is structured to provide Children’s Services Professionals with:
- a supportive, professionally facilitated space for staff to reflect on their current practice and interactions with families
- access to information and resources that will strengthen their family centered practice
- opportunities to debrief and unpack challenging situations and practice issues
- skills and knowledge that will enhance the capacity of service team/s to provide a cohesive, professional and supportive environment for all staff and the families that they serve.
- opportunities to strengthen their early intervention skills and increase confidence using these skills to recognise and respond to vulnerability in children and their families
For more information about this project please contact Team Leader Jill Carlson-Beardall on (02) 4720 6500 or email